Get the Resource that has been used by THOUSANDS of Teachers and Students!
Teaching Long Division used to be a huge confusing hassle for my students until I made this Long Division Color Coded Graphic Organizer
If you are a teacher you know why:
- Students cannot line up the problem
- Students are unsure of the wording such as, how many times does 6 go into 43?
- Students do not know their multiplication facts
- Students struggle with subtraction
- Anything else?
I began searching for the ultimate way to solve long division problems. I found great ideas with boxes and so on, but none had something that worked EVERY SINGLE TIME, for EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM!
How did you solve it?
I created my own and started using it. It went amazing. The difference was clear:
- Students do not know how to line up the long division problem – Use colors to show them where everything goes
- Students do not understand the wording, such as how many times does 6 go into 50 – Use a built in multiple tracker on their page
When students use this sheet, they feel confident they are able to do well with the problem and quickly master the skill. It can be phased out to black and white and then just using grid paper.
Also, do not start with dividing 3 digit numbers! Start with this 2 digit division first! This will make sure they understand what they are doing!
The steps are clear and will not fail
- Students write how many times does the number go into the first digit of the divisor. They MUST write the multiples until they go PAST the number they are looking for. This ensures there is no guessing or stopping too early.
- Students follow the color codes and the steps to solve the rest of the problem
Not only did I think that this was helpful, but I posted it on TikTok and received almost 160,000 views teaching this concept! People kept asking where to get the sheet and here we are.
Here is the video explanation and the video that has almost 200,000 views on TikTok!